Friday, September 3, 2010

English Vocabulary Preparation App - TxtWeb

We all have a pretty bad vocabulary, and that's a major issue when we are aiming for CAT, GRE, GMAT and other examinations. This application will help you with that...




I created a database of good-important english words, meanings taken from Wiktionary. Then I am randomly picking 5 words and their meanings and displaying it to the end users. Simple ain't it?

On yeah, for word insertion I created an AJAX admin page, where I give a long list of comma-separated words as input, it first looks for the meaning on net and then inserts it. Response of each such request either tells that insertion was successful or gives the reason it failed. This was necessary because if I have a list of say 5K words, I cannot just run a PHP loop to get the meanings and insert them into database, that would just timeout and abort. Hence the effort. This was I guess the coolest part of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment